We explored the beautiful Iceland in the summer of 2021. From Keflavik to Keflavik round trip. In 17 days, 18 nights. In this blog, you find our travel route. As you can read in another blog, we stayed in summer houses throughout the country.
Brussels – Keflavik Airport
We took a direct flight Brussels – Keflavik Airport. The flight takes about 3 hours. Easy and comfortable.
Another way of getting to Iceland is taking a boat. Smyrilline/Norrora has weekly departures leaving from Denmark and arriving in Seyðisfjørður with a stop-over in the Faroe Islands. Main advantage is you have your own car at hand and can save the costs of an expensive car rental.
We rented a Mercedes Vito 4 x 4 with Hertz.
From Borgarnes to Selfoss
We made a round trip Keflavik – Keflavik International Airport with a first stop in Borgarnes and a last one in Selfoss. We stayed in 5 summer houses. This enabled us to travel around Iceland mainly following Ring Road 1 and visiting the main tourist attractions.
|1.||Borgarnes||Flight Brussels – Reykjavik|
Reykjavik – Borgarnes
|Bleikulag 38 cottage, Skorradalur Borgarnes|
|2.||Borgarnes||Snaefellsness round tour – Snæfellsjökull National Park||Bleikulag 38 cottage, Skorradalur Borgarnes|
|3.||Borgarnes||Langjökull – Into the glacier||Bleikulag 38 cottage, Skorradalur Borgarnes|
|4.||Borgarnes||Borgarnes Settlement Museum – swimming pool||Bleikulag 38 cottage, Skorradalur Borgarnes|
|5.||Husavik||Borgarnes – Grábrók – Vidimýrarkirkja – Hvammstangi (seals)- Hvitserkur – Akureyri – Husavik||Solkot cottage, Stekkjarhvammur, Reykjahverdi, Husavik|
|6.||Husavik||Whales boat tour Husavik (whales, dolphins)||Solkot cottage, Stekkjarhvammur, Reykjahverdi, Husavik|
|7.||Husavik||Hverir – Krafla Crater – Viti Crater – Myvatn lane – Myvatn Nature Baths – Grjótagjá cave – Dimmuborgir rock formations||Solkot cottage, Stekkjarhvammur, Reykjahverdi, Husavik|
|8.||Seydisfjördur||Husavik – Dettifoss – Seyðisfjörður||Tungata 15, Seyðisfjörður|
|9.||Seydisfjördur||Hike Budararfoss waterfall – city center||Tungata 15, Seyðisfjörður|
|10||Seydisfjördur||Green vending machine – Borgarfjordur Eystri (puffins)||Tungata 15, Seyðisfjörður|
|11||Seydisfjördur||Hike Brimnes||Tungata 15, Seydisfjördur appartment|
|12||Kirkjubajarklaustur||Seydisfjordur – Dettifoss – Jökulsárlón gletsjer lake -Kirkjubæjarklaustur||Nordic Travel Summerhouse Haedarsel, Hæðargarður, Kirkjubæjarklaustur|
|13||Kirkjubajarklaustur||Skaftafell National Park||Nordic Travel Summerhouse Haedarsel, Hæðargarður, Kirkjubæjarklaustur|
|14||Kirkjubajarklaustur||Kirkjubæjarklaustur – Vik & Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach – Lava Center – Selfoss||Nordic Travel Summerhouse Birkisel, Selfoss|
|15||Selfoss||Golden circle: Gheysir – Gulfoss – Pingvellir – Reykjavik||Nordic Travel Summerhouse Birkisel, Selfoss|
|16||Selfoss||Landmannalaugar||Nordic Travel Summerhouse Birkisel, Selfoss|
|17||Selfoss||Hike vulcano Fagradalsfjall (Reykjanes)||Nordic Travel Summerhouse Birkisel, Selfoss|
|18||Selfoss||Flight Keflavik – Brussels|
Why visit Iceland with kids ?
- nature is overwhelming and diverse: magnificent waterfalls, impressive volcanoes, colored mountains, steaming mud pots, lava, steam, geysers, …
- wildlife is fantastic: beautiful puffins, whales, dolphins, seals, a variety of sea birds, …
- activities are diverse. You can simply go hiking. Or visit the inside of a glacier. Or take a boat on a fabulous glacier lake.
- you can find complete ‘silence’. Sometimes, you drive kilometers and kilometers without seeing another village.
- you can enjoy natural hot springs. Even when it’s colder or raining, a very special experience.
- you can enjoy endless views
- you hear a completely different language, you don’t understand a word of it!
- it’s an easy country to travel. As soon as you rent a car, you can drive along at your own pace.